Today’s hike was very peaceful with beautiful scenery and a little bit of adventure.
We decided to go to Dennis Cove Falls in Tennessee to check out the waterfall.
In order to get there we had to cross three creeks … by cable. The first and second we ended up doing half by cable and the other through the water on or in-between rocks. The third cable was by far the easiest because of a log we could walk on while hanging onto the cable.
There were many places to go off the main beaten path and more into the dense trees and vegetation that took us closer to the water.
The waterfall was flowing pretty good today after the rainfall we have had.
Jason of course found another spot where he could get a different perspective, very pretty.
We sat for a while taking in the scenery, as well as the sounds and tranquility of it all before we moved on.
We stopped on rocks in the middle of the creek.
Today’s hike was a lot of fun, we laughed a lot … and had our moments of silence as we both took everything in and cleared our heads.
Compared to some of the hikes we have been on, this part of the Cherokee National Forest was not too strenuous.
What a great two days of exploring …
Directions from Laurel Falls alternative hike:
- Continue on Dennis Cove Road for 1-mile. Just before the single car bridge is a small parking lot. Directly across the road is the trailhead.
Directions from 1-26 to the trailhead of Laurel Falls:
- Take exit 24 to Elizabethton on Scenic US 321 8.4 miles
- Turn Right at 19E Jct Staying on 321 5.2 miles
- In Hampton turn left on 321 1.3 miles
- Look to the right for the parking lot and trailhead area.
- In Hampton turn left on 321 0.8 miles
- Take a right on to Dennis Cove Drive 3.3 miles
- Take the windy road up the mountain to the Appalachian Trail Crossing at the Dennis Cove trailhead where you will find a parking lot on either side of the road.